Tuesday 19 March 2013

Life Jackets - Hoodies



Life Jackets

Hoodies

Review By Brando Albers

            The album opens with dual voices asking you to "wake up". Something about the way the voices go together send chills through my skin. Its equally uncomfortable as it is enjoyable. The album starts off chill but that changes very quickly. It suddenly transforms into a down-tempo reverberated sort of sound. This album has a lot of strong points but their direction or idea for this work is not always completely clear.

            They have a lot of talent and have some very good songs. But it seems like they are still trying to find their sound. Their album features alternative rock-ish songs, down-tempo electronic, club-dance and dub-step. But not all at once. I personally don't mind because I like variation and interesting music, but for example the general listener may hear a song and think I'll download this. But then realize that none of the other songs are similar to the original sound that won them over. I guess it all depends. My top three songs are:

1, Erry Time I Die
This song resonates with me, I'm not normally for this style music. But this song appeals to me. I like how it seems like a typical club song at first but then it blasts into this very distorted, grungy dub-step chorus. I think its pretty damn catchy.

2, This Kid I Know
I like how mellow it starts off with lush acoustic rhythms. Suddenly a snarling, reverberated guitar pipes in accompanied by his very suitable vocals. This song is more alternative rock-ish which seems to fit them very well.

3, OMG
Yet another extreme change from the previous two songs I mentioned. They now take on a sound similar to "Faded Paper Figures" or "The Postal Service". I'm always a sucker for synth based tracks. I love electronic, it tastes great.

            All in all this album is great, just all over the place. So if you like being pleasantly surprised by a wide variation of sounds on one single album then this is for you. If your a stickler for consistency, this may be a bit harder for you to digest. But in the end, good music is still good music. I give this album 6/10

            Download it from bandcamp.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment