Saturday 9 March 2013

The Unsparing Sea - Diamond Caverns

The Unsparing Sea

Diamond Caverns

A Review By Brando Albers


            The unsparing sea has a very organic and natural energy. They fully utilize their unique sound creating a wonderfully pure experience. Hints of folk and an energetic shoe-gaze, mentality seem to blend effortlessly as the music plays on. Meaning this album can easily transform from entertainment into the soundtrack of your here and now.

            The vocals are what really set this band apart from all of these other folk-rock musicians. But its obvious that I can taste hints of "fleet foxes", "Midlake" and even a tinge of "boy and bear". But after it all has been said and done, this band really took the concept, shook it out and gently urged it back to life. The variety of instrumentation is by far one of the albums best points. I love the harp and violin combination on the track "sandpaper/sadpaper". If I was asked to list my top three favourite songs on this strong album I would have to put it this way:

1, Diamond Caverns
This song starts off with a decent amount of energy backed by his more laid back vocals. But when the chorus hits I feel like pressing my headphones tightly against my ears because I want this song to make love to my brain. Oh yes.

2, Held In The Light
The banjo is to die for. I also truly appreciate the use of the saw as it quietly cries in the background. I've heard a lot of bands ruin the saw, but this band knows exactly how much and when. Aside from the instruments I feel the vocals are absolutely solid mixing well with the country-ish feel. Delicious.

3, Only Armor
Totally impossible not to tap your foot to this song. Overflowing with energy. The country-ish vibe is still strong but they have tossed in a great indie-rock sensation. The chorus is wonderful and bursting with my "god this song completes me".

            This CD will forever remain on my mp3 player and in my car stereo because this album is most certainly one I will play when I go camping this summer. I can just imagine as the suns dizzy buzz washes over me as I sit watching the lake with this album playing from my car. Good times coming soon! I would not consider it a perfect album, but its not a bad album either. Really looking forward to what they do next. No pressure. I rate this Album7/10.

            The album is completely free to download from bandcamp although they also accept a payment of your choice if your feeling generous. Show them some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment