Saturday 9 March 2013

Faunts - High Expectation / Low Results



Faunts

High Expectations / Low Results

Review By Brando Albers

            The intro is a very spacious chill that fades off with the sound of night critters. All the sudden, like a storm in the middle of a hot summer night, the drums and guitar rush over me as the vocals nervously whisper in the background. Reminds me of "The Verve – Neon Wilderness" except with anxious tones, and the need to express them. Even though some of their songs are filled with fuzzy mind altering psychedelic bits, I can always feel the structure and the intent. Controlled madness works for me.

            As the album progresses it sticks to the nervous vocals, but the music itself mellows. They have the gentle fragile sound of "Wild Nothing" or even hints of "Washed Out". As the album swells into an intense barrage of sounds it suddenly relaxes and stretches out for a dream. This album has weather or very independent moods. That is a comfortable way to describe it. Or it could represent ones life cycle or more obviously, the birth and death of love once shared. Either way I feel this album is very important and should be listened to straight through because its a beautiful detailed story. My top three songs for this album are:

1, Parlier De La Pluie Et Du Beau Temps
This song is instrumental but it speaks directly to me. I get an "Air" vibe from this song but not in the sense that its lost its originality. The emotions that this song evokes within me are so strong. Like a movie, I visualize. "I attempt to blend into the population one night, a social suicide as it all explodes in my face. She left me the night before. I find the closest door and rush through it. I am then walking home down unfamiliar streets mauling the night over in my mind. Questioning purpose and potential of my future. Anxiety sets in which injects fear into my soul as my mind spirals downward. Four minutes and thirteen seconds into the song I fall apart and begin running. Buildings blur as a strong sickness grows within the depths of my bowels. I am wrenched to the ground and I grasp at my skin trying to mend the pain. The sick bitter taste of heartbreak slowly claws its way up my throat and coats my tongue with its bitter sting. I lay lifelessly on the sidewalk alone for all to see and ignore." But then again, that's just how this song speaks to me.

2, Gone With The Day
This song reminds me of "Chris Isaac". It is such a beautiful song, the song is so good infact that when it ends and you put it on a second time. By the end of it you realize that about 26 minutes had gone by, but your ok with that. Hell, third times the charm.

3, Instantly Loved
The aggression and distortion is delicious. This song is powerful with its whirring guitars and fluttering frequencies. The vocal melodies grab you and never let go. A pleasant vacation for the eardrums.

            I would recommend this album to everyone and would as suggest that you play it during a rain storm at night as you drive aimlessly trying to clear your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment