Saturday 9 March 2013

Golden Sun - Self-Titled EP

Golden Sun

Self-Titled EP

Review By Brando Albers


            A grungy hissing EP of pure pleasure. I am so pleased to be reviewing Golden Sun. The EP starts off strong and confident both instrumentally and vocally. I am a sucker for lo-fi so when I heard this album I melted into a bashful mess. The vocals in terms of equalizing remind me of "The Strokes" or even "The Hives". But the music itself feels more lush and full of variation, although the previous two bands that I mentioned failed to tap into that.

            The guitar demands your attention in a very powerful way but it never seems to over power the vocals. Some bands seem to have over powering members or sounds, but from the way this band sounds to me they have it all figured out. I am glad this band came together and recorded this EP because my life would be bland without it. I don't mind EP's but even if I love every song on it (Which I do) I always crave more. But either way this effort has gained my respect and acknowledgement. My top three songs for this album are:

1, Strangers
Unlike the rest of the EP with its intense melodies that demand your attention, this song is gentle and gives me chills. This song is one to listen to late at night in the dark with headphones. The guitar reminds me of "Radiohead" all the while the vocals give the song its own vibe. The vocals in this song put me in a trance. Beautiful, honest and currently on repeat.

2, Bonneville
This song would be the one I'd make a music video for if I were in the band. This song holds their music sensibility close but also provides a sound that is digestible for those with more mainstream tastes. I could easily see this song being the vehicle for their success. A wonderful tune indeed.

3, Kings Cup
The song starts with a catchy reverberated guitar riff that grabs hold of me and pulls me along. The music lulls as the vocals climb through the haze. Memorizing and sexy. Something about his voice truly holds some sort of interest. I wouldn't mind if he narrated "BBC's Life". Aside from those wanderings I truly feel this band has it all.

            I can hardly wait to see what this band does next. Sometimes it can be scary liking an EP this much because if the following release does not match or exceed, it can leave an awful taste in my mouth for days. Similar to eating a clove of garlic just because your brother dared you. Either way this EP was splendid and will be added to my music collection for sure! I rate this EP 9/10.

            This EP is available on bandcamp.com Get it NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment